Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Place names with the word "debit" in them

Most mornings on my commute currently, I'm bombarded with a Visa advertising campaign that uses the word "debit" in place names...

(Details of campaign:  http://www.marketingmag.ca/news/marketer-news/visa-promotes-its-debitnations-for-spring-break-74944)

What they did is take a place name like "Orlando" and turn it into "Orlandebit".  Fort Lauderdale becomes "Fort Lauderdebit".  This just infuriates me because a) I find it boringly repetitive, and b) it's not clever, or remotely challenging to the mind.  It did, however, inspire me to go looking for places that actually have the word "debit" (or could be pronounced that way if "de bit") in them.

I found:

  • Endebit (Nafka, Northern Red Sea, Eritrea).
  • Debiti (Ethiopia)
  • Punta De Bitica (Colombia)
  • Commune De Bitam (Algeria)
  • Plaine De Bitenga (Democratic Republic of the Congo).

Conclusion:
The campaign did ultimately repulse me enough into discovering five places I'd never heard of, so I did indirectly learn something as a result of it, other than "their marketing department needs to be fired".